Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education (including Relationships and Sex Education)
Our School Vision
‘Learning for Life – Aiming high in all we do’
- A love for learning – curiosity and creativity
- Aim high in all we do – ambition and confidence
- Learn from mistakes and have the resilience to overcome difficulties
- Grow respect for everyone and the world around us
- Never give up, always persevere
Intent of the PSHE Curriculum
At Huncote Primary School, PSHE is at the core of what we do and
- enables our children to become independent, confident, healthy and responsible members of society, as well as developing the ‘whole child’ intellectually, morally, socially and spiritually. Through our whole-school approach to PSHE, it is our belief that excellence in these areas will lead to excellence across the curriculum and beyond in later life.
- gives our children the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe and to prepare them for life and work in modern Britain. PSHE education helps pupils achieve their academic potential, and leave school equipped with skills they will need throughout later life.
PSHE is taught across the school from EYFS – Year 6 on a weekly basis and as a school, we follow the Jigsaw PSHE scheme. Jigsaw holds children at its heart, and its cohesive vision helps children understand and value how they fit into and contribute to the world. Our PSHE curriculum equips children with relevant and meaningful content, which is supported through a strong emphasis on emotional literacy, building resilience and nurturing mental and physical health. Lessons also include mindfulness allowing children to advance their emotional awareness, concentration and focus. With an ever changing society, we are able to provide our children with a strong understanding of the diverse world around them and support them in playing a positive role in contributing to the school and wider community.
Weaving through the heart of our PSHE teaching, is a commitment to enhancing and promoting our core values; Curiosity, Respect, Perseverance, Creativity, Resilience, Ambition and Confidence.
Implementation of the PSHE Curriculum
We teach the National Curriculum, supported by a clear skills and knowledge progression. This ensures that skills and knowledge are built on year by year and sequenced appropriately to maximise learning for all children.
Jigsaw offers a comprehensive programme for primary PSHE including statutory Relationships and Health Education, in a spiral, progressive and fully planned scheme of work, giving children relevant learning experiences to help them navigate their world and to develop positive relationships with themselves and others.
Jigsaw consists of six half-term units of work (Puzzles), each containing six lessons (Pieces) covering each academic year:
- Being Me in My World
- Celebrating Difference (including anti-bullying)
- Dreams and Goals
- Healthy Me
- Changing Me (including Sex Education)
Every Piece has two learning intentions, one specific to Relationships and Health Education (PSHE) and the other designed to develop emotional literacy and social skills. Each year group studies the same unit at the same time (at their own level), building sequentially through the school year, facilitating whole-school learning themes.
Impact of the PSHE Curriculum – what will this look like?
By the time children leave our school they will:
- Have a ready willingness and ability to try new things, push themselves and persevere.
- Have a good understanding of how to stay safe, healthy and develop good relationships.
- Have an appreciation of what it means to be a positive member of a diverse, multicultural society.
- Have a strong self-awareness, interlinked with compassion for others.